Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Serious Shawlette/Yarn Addiction Period

  My 2nd shawlette!  All finished, blocked & photographed. OMG. Love it as much as the first. Just need cooler weather, so I can wear it to work. 

I've learned a lot by knitting these "beginner" lace scarves---that is I've learned what NOT to do.  And please, would I just follow instructions & suggestions... one of these days !! 


Next time I will end the first skein before I run out, also remembering to join the 2nd skein at the end of a row (not in the middle).  I may not use every single iota of yarn yardage, but the  'lace points' will match and I won't be scrambling at the end to finish. I think (this time) I have learned that suggestions are made by experienced knitters FOR A REASON. I will pay attention from now on.            


I used the same Chinook Scarf pattern, but this time tried a different fine yarn:
Alpaca Silk by Blue Sky Alpacas
DK / 8 ply   Content:  50% Alpaca, 50% Silk
Yardage: 146 yards (134 meters)
Unit weight: 50 grams (1.76 ounces)
I used 2 skeins - 292.0 yards (267.0m)
Needle:   US 5 - 3.75 mm
Color: 110 Ecru                                          












I've started another small lace shawl - in the Elsabeth Lavold Hempathy. A teal-pine-green color. The pattern is  Saroyan by Liz Abinante.  More later, only just started knitting the first leaf.


A quick trip to Tucson/visit an old friend resulted in 2 LYS stops---well of course! Add 3 more yarns to my stash. Surely all the yarn I can possibly handle, in a lifetime. Or at least in 2012.   
The yellow Malabrigo is for my friend's mother; she will celebrate 100 years in November. What better reason to buy yarn/knit a shawlette for her, in her favorite color: yellow.
And I bought some other interesting yarns, but what to make?   Next project/learning experience will be the triangular style shawl.  Another 3 balls of the Elsabeth Lavold Hempathy, only in a silver grey.  Lovely lovely yarn. Nice weight/mix for this hot climate (cotton, hemp & rayon).


Then 3 skeins of Berroco Seduce. Darker greyish. Yum.
Can't wait to make something out of it.