Friday, December 18, 2009

Cabled Oatmeal Hat

I finished my Cabled Oatmeal Hat... and I learned a lot, terrific beginner's cable project: provisional cast-on, Kitchener graft, improved my picking up stitches technique, cables, and more practice with DPN's.  This was a big deal for me - actually looks like a knitted garment that a 'real' knitter would make!  And a 1920's cloche-hat feel to it. This is the 2nd cabled hat from the knitting class I just finished.  Definetely think the 2nd hat an improvement over my first!  I have a third hat on the needles, a cabled beret & will post pics of that next time.
The yarn I used:
Rowan Felted Tweed Aran
2 skeins = 190.0 yards (173.7m)
Colorway: 720 pebble
Needle: 8/5.0mm
The (free) pattern is from Knitty:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTcoronet.html