Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Natural Cabled Beret

Looks better on the model than any human head.
I like it, and enjoyed working cables again & glad it's done...  but will certainly never use or wear.  And I think it would be better (more slouchiness) with DK yarn or something softer. NOT slouchy enough to suit me. And for sure, should have used 5 or 6 needles for the ribbing.  Live & learn. sigh.
Aslan Trends Ecolana
Pretty yarn. My first beret, a cabled beret no less!  What a fearless girl.  What am I going to do with another wool hat? I don't wear wool, don't wear hats & I live in Arizona. A gift!
The free pattern can be found at RAVELRY or FREE PATTERN LINK (thank you Ashley Hasse) is here:  http://kalamaridemocracy.blogspot.com/2007/09/fo-and-pattern-cabled-beret.html

I used:
Needles: US 7 / 4.5 mm and US 8 / 5.0 mm
2 skeins = 352.0 yards (321.9m)
Colorway:  2 desert sand
Color family:   Natural/Undyed

Here's my start, so far finding the pattern a breeze and following as written. And the yarn is lovely to work with.  I'm a fool for any color in the natural, ecru, camel or oatmeal shades - goes with everything or for anyone.  Almost (almost) makes me wish I lived in a colder climate, so I might wear it. Nah.  I LOVE Arizona! 
I wish I'd used smaller needles for the ribbing - maybe 5 or 6 in stead of the 7's I used.. but it's still ok.
It's looking ok, so far.  Been so busy, and everything this past month. This has just sat there, in the basket.  I'm sure I'll feel like knitting this weekend & get this one finished.
I'm nutty about cables. They're so cool.