Monday, July 13, 2009

Fooling About with Chemo Hats

My favorite so far: crocheted with a picot edge trim, really really fast & easy. I tried the Caron Simply Soft Eco for the first time - and liked it better than would have thought. Not a fan of acrylic, but some cottons aren't stretchy/soft enough for a bare scalp.
I used (my) adjusted version of this pattern, courtesy of Head Huggers: http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/cpatt12.htm

US H (5.0 mm) hook, and added a row of SC before & after the 'holes'.
Lastly, added the picot edge for a feminine touch.
Stretchy, roomy, light & airy & not too clingy.
About about half the skein made 1 hat, fitting a medium-sized head.
I like the natural color too. Especially in Arizona summer heat.
My friend CC with ACS kindly donated the head to model/work with, as I practice & learn!
The Phyllis Cap


Then I tried a knit hat, used the pattern below. Having never used DP needles, well, um, I was glad for a little elastic in the cotton!
I ball of Cascade Yarns Fixation Spray Dyed/Effects
Size US 8 needles (5.0 mm)
Here's the pattern I followed (mostly), courtesy of chiknitterguy. I didn't make it deep enough, so it's a sz small for sure.
http://chiknitterguy.blogspot.com/2009/06/todds-no-purl-hat-needles-and-yarn.html

Brim rolled up or down.


I also tried The Inside Out Chemo Cap
Made this with cotton & baby acrylic, didn't really care for it when I finished. Here is the knit pattern, courtesy of Head Huggers:


Here's the crochet Phyllis Cap, made with Lion Cotton

And another crochet version, with Bernat Bamboo Natural Blends in natural.
Soft & cushy, but a tad too hot for this climate.

And a couple more.

No comments: